Sunday, August 19, 2007

An easy IPA

I put on a batch of beer today. While the weather was much cooler than it has been in a while, I didn't want to spend over an hour watching a pot boil then mess up a ton of equipment to cool and move wort around. So I pulled out the cans of hopped malt I had bought on a whim (they were on sale) and diluted them in some water and brought it to a boil. I added a small amount of left over hops I had from another recipe. I combined the hot wort with more water then let the whole mess cool in the carboy before pitching in some yeast. I was a little disappointed to find out that one of my expensive yeast packs had somehow expanded on its own in my fridge but luckily I had a backup package of dried yeast. I am going to run two batches back to back on the same yeast cake. So next week I will be making a Porter. I hope the weather cooperates with me.

Come September, I will be starting up the beer TGIF's again. There has been some demand now that classes have started, but since I haven't brewed in a while, my stocks are a little low. I have two spicy beers and very little of the non-spicy beer and one empty keg. The next TGIF will be in three weeks and the IPA will be ready by then. Carbonating in kegs makes things a lot faster. The Porter will be ready shortly after that, then I need to think about what I want to make next.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home