Thursday, August 02, 2007

Backpacking

It is time to go out on a backpacking trip. I realized I haven't been out in a while and I have a small back log of gear that I need to take out for testing. At least the number of items I currently have out is small and multi-purpose. I can't wear the rain gear anymore as it is simply too hot, but the shorts and bug dope I can use while day hiking and kayaking.

The trip planned is a small 9 mile over night trip. 5 miles in, 3 miles out. I am trying to see if I can get my pack weight below 20 lbs. I keep hitting that mark but I haven't been able to go below. So with summer here and no need for heavier winter gear, I am going to see how low I can go.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ellie Hamilton said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh, another backpacker trying to go lighter :-) I haven't read back far enough in your posts to find out if you did the AT, as you alluded in your profile. I'm planning it, trying to get my pack under 30#.... 20 would be awesome!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Canadian Loonie said...

With the right (ie light) equipment this is easy, but when you resupply on the trail, it is hard to avoid buying too much (don't shop while hungry doesn't work when you are always hungry) and suddenly your pack weighs too much.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home