Sunday, July 22, 2007

Paddling Basics

There was a paddling basics offered on the meetup that I decided to participate in. Although I know how to move my kayak forward, I thought it would be a good time to learn a little more about paddling and how to better control my kayak in the water. I think I learned some stuff but I think the real test will be to see how much I retain when I get out on the water next. I had a bit of a hard time telling the difference between the normal stroke and the sweep stroke, part of that was due to my paddle being different from the teachers. After switching paddles briefly, I think I have it figured out now.

We went down to old town Alexandria after the paddling to get some food and to go down to the docks to see if the large 3 masted square rigger was anchored there. Alas it was not, but at least we got to watch it passing through the raised bridge, pretty cool. We did stand on the docks and yak for a while. So when I got back and showered I discovered where I had missed putting sunscreen. I was so good about it too, but apparently I missed a nice big section of my back that is normally covered by my life jacket. So normally I don't notice the lack of sunscreen, but this time, I noticed it very acutely. That's going to hurt for a while. Next time I will remember to goop that area up.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home