Sunday, January 07, 2007

On the trail, finally

There was a hiking meetup to Annapolis rock that I participated in. It was really nice to hit the trail. It was a section that I had already hiked but really in the end, I don't remember every section of the trail so it was worth going. I also really didn't take the time to explore any of the vantage points on the side of the trail at all so this was a chance to see some of the sights. The climb in was a little rough. Not only was the trail covered by lots of leaves, hiding the rocks, but apparently I have gotten out of shape. It also didn't help that I had a sore throat. The weather was actually spectacular. More like a warm spring day then the middle of winter. I was mostly wearing t-shirt and shorts for the hike then I would layer up when we stopped. I was really windy out on the ridge and ledges but nothing a windbreaker couldn't handle.

So the aftermath of the hiking is that I am sore is more places than I care to be. I had my knee braces on so the knees are fine but my hips, calves and thighs are quite sore. My wrists were tired from carrying the poles. Thankfully the weather was so nice that I could wear my sandals. That meant I didn't have to wear my stiff, heavy boots. I really dislike those boots but they are good boots and work very well in winter that I just can't justify replacing them. I should look into getting some trail runners for spring and fall when I am between sandals and boots.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Does your gear-testing company do any tests on trail runners? Two birds with one stone, huh?

Make sure you write about what kind you end up getting. My wife is around your size and she is looking for some too!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Canadian Loonie said...

Yes, backpackgeartest.org does trail runners. We basically run the gamut of gear types. I will likely have to wait until spring and after I finish the current load of gear before starting to think about applying for more gear.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home