Friday, March 21, 2008

Full moon hike

As part of the backpacking meetup, I organized a full moon hike. I was a little upset that someone else stole my idea and posted one on their site too, but I guess I should take it as flattery that they liked my idea enough to run one themselves. I had a small group show up but that was perfect as this was the first time running this and I wasn't 100% sure of the location. I also wasn't sure the time of moonrise was going to work with the start time. Turns out we should have started a little later. The location, while perfect for star gazing, was in a depression making it a little hard to see the moon at first. I brought in my stove and pot to make hot chocolate for everyone. We also had someone show up with a telescope. This would have been really great except they forgot the eyepiece on their bed. So alas, no telescope. I did bring my star book so that made for some conversation and star gazing for a while. We did have someone show up with Tarot cards and do some reading for some people. All in all, it was a great event. I think I will organize more of them and I might go out and get a Walmart special telescope just in case. I also think I will be running a New Moon hike a few time s as well to do some star gazing. Why just stop at the moon, there is a sky full of great things to look at. And the depression I ended up choosing will be perfect for star gazing as it cuts out a lot of stray light.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home