Friday, September 07, 2007

Wet Exit

So it was bound to happen, I had to learn how to exit the kayak in case of a flip so I purposely flipped the kayak in calm water. I did end up spending about 5-10 minutes whining and procrastinating about it first. I didn't really care if I got wet, I just didn't want to be upside down underwater. I also kept thinking about all the things that can go wrong, and what if my life jacket pressed me against the hull. In the end, other than hitting my head on the paddle, there were no problems leaving the kayak. The problems came with trying to get all the water out of the kayak. It took three people to get the kayak out of the water onto their kayaks then tip all the water out. I was even able to get back into the kayak like I knew what I was doing. I did discover that my life jacket needs to be a little tighter as it came up a little higher than it should.

In preparation for TGIF, I loaded up the amber ale and birch beer into the car with two boxes of old school texts and drove them down to the school on my way to kayaking. It was easier to carry the two kegs at once than lug each one alone. Needless to say, after lugging heavy kegs, heavy boxes, then paddling like mad, my arms and shoulders are tired and a little sore. Even my wrists are tired and a little sore. I could use a massage, or a hot tub soak. I am supposed to go backpacking tomorrow but the turn out is rather low and I am not sure my shoulders would be happy with that. I will have to see how I am doing later.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Congrats on at least trying it out.

If I can be embarrassingly honest, turning over in a kayak and the fear of not being able to right myself or get out are the things that keep me from trying kayaking. I really really really want to try it, but those are my hangups.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Canadian Loonie said...

I did dread having to do it, but I had read up and was coached so once I was upside down, I knew what to do. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There are also some places were you can practice in a pool with spotters to help. Otherwise, your chances of flipping on calm water are low in a recreational kayak. A sit on top kayak is even harder to flip but there is nothing holding you in place so you just fall out and bob back up.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

I'll try one day. I promise.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home