Sunday, August 26, 2007

Beer and 'yaking

A group of us went down to Phick Bay and paddled around before stopping for a quick lunch. Too bad the tide was out as it would have been nice to get further up into the salt flats. We did see some osprey and other birds. I think we might have been able to get further back if we had followed the shore line but the guy who was leading didn't think that was a viable route. He also thought that splitting up th elaunch into two groups was a good idea so three of us ended up sitting there waiting with no idea how long the other group was progressing in getting their rentals. He just sat in his kayak being anti-social while I chatted with the other girl. It was a shame to have the split launch. At least we could have chatted together as a group while we were waiting for the rental office to open.

I put some beer on today. I moved one batch into secondary and started an Oatmeal Porter. The weather was hot and humid and making beer was not a good idea but the yeast cake was ready for another batch so I just bit the bullet and did it. I did make quite the mess though. I definitely don't have the right equipment for doing all-grain batches of beer. My feet are tired and everything was covered in sticky sugar syrup. I managed to get the dishes washed up but I will have to clean the floor and rugs tomorrow. I am now relaxing to the chill of the AC in the bedroom. The weather is cooling down but I am so hot from watching boiling wort that I ended up turning on the AC and chilling the bedroom for later relaxing. I think the next batch will not be anytime soon. I did pick up a birch beer soda kit for people who don't drink, so I will prepare that for the next TGIF which I think will be in about 2 weeks.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Birch Beer. There's a memory from my childhood. Let us know how it turns out.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home