Thursday, June 16, 2005

16 Jun 05

Baxter State Park. Left Montreal this morning at 7:30 and hit the Maine border at 10:00. After several questions and a quick trunk check we were on our way. Our roads suddenly went from arrow-straight to narrow, tree-linked and winding upon reaching the Appalachian range. While the roads leading to the border were becoming winding and tree-lined, the change seemed more noticeable afterwards.

Today was quite cool and there were scattered showers on the drive down. Temperatures are in the mid teens. I received my new sleeping bad and will be receiving another one in about 2 wks. The bag is rated good to 30F (0C) so I hope the temperature doesn't drop. I will have to worry about skeeters and blackflies. I am sleeping in a 3-walled lean-to for the next few nights.

I hope the weather is better tomorrow. BSP is forecasting 80% rain and may rate the day a class 3. Meaning conditions above the treeline will not be good for hiking. I will at least make for the tree-line then see how things look. I am filtering water for tomorrow and packing my day pack. I will make food soon and maybe a fire.

I have set up "camp" for the night. I also had my first brush with nature. A chipmunk was sitting about 5-7 feet away nibbling on something. By the time I managed to get back to the camera and pull it out, it was gone. Too bad, he would have made a cute photo.

I am trying to decide the age old question of "what's for dinner?" I have so much choice that I can't decide. I am also unsure about how much food each package makes, so I may be eating it again for breakfast. I will have to choose wisely.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home