Saturday, March 29, 2008

More pool sessions

I managed to get in two more pool sessions. I was able to go in someone else's spot as they would not be able to make it. Sunday morning was a slightly better time then Saturday night but I am not complaining. I went with my paddling partner the first session but alone the next session. I managed to get in a little more rolling practice and started working on a few other skills like edging and turning the kayak. The last session I worked on sculling. I was using my Greenland paddle to do this and I am not sure if that was what made it seem easy. I will have to try to do it some time with my regular paddle to see if I can still do it. I did end up capsizing my kayak several times and each time I was able to come back up. It made me feel really good. I am sure I don't have a bomb-proof roll, but I feel that I have something and it is getting there. I even managed to roll back up with the Greenland paddle. That was a really good feeling. I really wanted to talk to my paddling partner but he wasn't there.

I am going to be going to a kayaking festival in April in South Carolina. I have heard it is a lot of fun and I am really looking forward to going. I wish my paddling partner could make it but alas he can't. At least he will be able to make it to the next longer event which is in North Carolina so that will be nice.

I've been going down to the Boat House to help them fix the place up. They are going to be opening soon and have asked if any of the Pirate's who launch there would be willing to help get the place ready for the spring season, so I am helping out with that. I have made a few A frames to store canoes and kayaks on. Mostly it is carpentry work but I have been having fun doing it. I am also generally sore the next day but no complaints. It feels like real work. I can visually see what I have accomplished after a few hours of work. The person helping run and fix up the place has expressed an interest in keeping me on over the summer. That could be fun too but will eat up lots of time. I will have to see how things go, kayaking-wise and backpacking-wise.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home