Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Sugarloaf Day 27 Wednesday

Most of the group left yesterday and the few who arrived yesterday decided to take a zero day. So tonight I am by myself. This hapsn't happened for a while. I don't think I like it. If I had stayed at the campsite or pressed on for a the lean-to I would have had company. Instead, I was told there was an open building on Sugarloaf that had a microwave, electricity, and free long distance. What they didn't tell me is that there is no water and no privy. If it hadn't been so late I would have moved on to the next lean-to. At least I did get a really nice sunset. Hopefully I will get a good sunrise. Since the mist moved in I don't think that will happen. It is alos supposed to rain tomorrow. Iwill leave late and rest at the next lean-to. If the weather remains bad, I may just do a short day and rest. I pushed a little too hard today to get to this place especially coming off a zero day in town.

I got to try out my alcohol stove. I had some trouble keeping it lit and I thought it was the wind. Turns out it was the pot. It was smothering the fire. I had to use two bricks to get the pot off the stove. It seems that once it is really going, I can place the pot directly on the stove without smothering it. I did manage to cook supper on it but I am thinking I will go bck to my old stove. I will continue using the alcohol one just to give it a chance.

Even though I am striving to lose pack weight, I just picked up a book while in Stratton. Most hostels where hikers stay in town have hiker boxes. They are boxes that contain extra or not needed gear, food and various other miscellanous stuff, like books. I just got rid of the last book I was reading and now I have another. It is "One door away from heaven" by Dean Koontz. It is very good so far. I can't wait to finish it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home