Thursday, December 31, 2009

HIking Red Butte

We went for a hike today, not only the last hike of the year for us, but also the first hike in about a month. I think we went to Red Butte, but I am still not sure of names in the area. I know it was near Red Butte Creek. This is an easy trail, unless you are from the east coast, wearing boots with slippery treads and not using traction aids because they were not needed. Because I am still not fully adjusted to the altitude and we are both out of shape, we didn't make it all the way to the top on this hike. We did at least make it to the "living room", which is a pile of rocks set up to look like a sofa and chair. This is about what we managed to do last year about this same time. I was wearing better boots last time though. I am not sure what was up with my Asolo's but the traction which looked aggressive enough, didn't give me any purchase on the snowy trail. I found I would slip down and lose momentum. On the way down, I was sliding like crazy on some parts of the trail. I'm glad I opted to go back down the easier way rather then the steeper section. I feel bad we just did an out and back hike though. I would have preferred a loop hike. Oh well. I will try a different pair of boots next time and bring along some traction aids just in case.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home