Thursday, April 28, 2005

Katahdin

15 days until I move and starting to get really nervous and excited.

Mostly because I just got my maps for Maine. This means, combined with my New Hampshire and Vermont maps, I have about 1/3 of the trail covered. This also gave me a chance to finally see the elevation gain for Katahdin. It will definitely be a killer to hike. This will take me all day to summit with an elevation gain of 4200ft in 5 miles. Ouch! I will have to plan on camping in the park the night before the climb and camping again the day of the climb as I may be coming off the mountain late. Might as well bite the bullet, spend the cash and stay for two nights. I am still trying to decide if I want to try to find a partner to start with or go it completely alone. I think I need to go it alone so I can strengthen my character. I think that I depend to much on other people being there to help me get things done, to help me get through life. No more, I have to know that I can trust myself too.

Had a chance to try on some other packs last night. I really like my pack and after trying on another similarly sized pack I appreciate the fit of mine al the more. Except that I tried on another after that, and it was great. It fit just right and even with almost 40lbs in the bag, it felt like nothing. I really like it and I do believe that I need the extra room, but 300$ is quite pricey. Even with a 20% off sale next week, 230$ is still a lot. I will have to decide soon. Maybe I could sell my old pack and upgrade. So much stuff to do and so little time and energy.

Woke up at 3:00 this morning and that was it, game over. I couldn't sleep. So I just got up and threw out all my old midterms and papers from university. Never looked at them in the 5 years since graduation, what makes me think I will look at them when I get back from the trail. This is a start but in the end, I only cleaned out half a file box of stuff. I will have to try harder.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home